Friday, February 3, 2012

Wk 1 Reading Entry: Copyright

I can’t lie. Copyright issues terrify me! That’s why most of the time I just choose to do my own stuff, completely created by me. I think copyright scares me because I can’t seem to grasp my mind around the various aspects of the idea. I don’t understand how one thing can be copyrighted and the next thing can’t. I truly don’t believe that there is a single “unique” idea out there – even if you come up with it out of the blue, I believe somewhere there is someone else who is thinking the same things or extremely similar ones. I just don’t know where I stand on this. I will say that I completely disagree with downloading movies, music, books that you don’t pay for. Especially when its people’s lively hood. But I also feel like some things have been taking to the extreme, there are so many gray areas. After watching the videos I am starting to understand copyright a little more. I am probably going to have to watch them all a few more times.

3 comments:

  1. Your entry instantly made me think of a quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Every man is a borrower and a mimic, life is theatrical and literature a quotation."

    I can understand your reservations about content creation. I suppose that you are always going to be safe if you decide that you would rather create original content than risk a copyright violation. Also, I personally think it’s more enjoyable to create my own work. However, some occasions may arise that would be better served by having content you can’t create.

    This week’s reading, or videos rather, are such a great source of information. Like I told Jess, at first the task seemed a little daunting, but after only a few videos I really became interested in learning more and more. I wouldn’t label myself an expert after one session, but I’m certainly better equipped to understand copyright issues than I was only a week ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cricket! I am with you. At first I was scared to death of using anyone else’ s material. Especially for music. However, Creative Commons has really open the doors as far as being able to share idea’s and post other artists stuff. I think the whole issue is like a looking at a beautiful pool without knowing how to swim. It would be a disaster to just jump in without knowing anything about it. However, if we get involved slowly, we will become more familiar with how to swim.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a complex subject and it probably doesn't help that it's completely out of step with common practice and what many feel would be a more healthy balance between content creators, content remixers and content fans.

    ReplyDelete