Sunday, February 5, 2012

Wk 1 Blogging Response #1

Dwayne Buchanan

Thursday, February 2, 2012
Week 1 Reading Blog EMDT:MAC

Fair use has always intrigued me; what can I use, how much can I use, who is off limits? These questions still hold true to me after watching the videos. I have a better idea now of what is expected and what to do. During the EMDT courses I have tried to use as much of my own work as possible, mainly because it was relevant to what I was working on at the time. I have enjoyed learning about and using the Creative Commons materials. I now use this information when teaching my students about copyright and doing things the right way.

It saddened my heart to know that so many historical works will no longer be available because of the cost to re-license the material. It seems to me that the laws should be changed to incorporate the use of historic pieces into other media even after the copyright has expired. Being a history major I see the need for that historic content to be available to the people rather than in a private collection somewhere. We do need to preserve and use our historical events assets to keep our children and their children up to date on our history and legacy.
Posted by Dwayne Buchanan at 6:11 PM


Cricket JohnsonFeb 3, 2012 09:15 AM

Dwayne -
It is a shame about the historical works. I completely agree with you - we have to come up with a plan to make these works available to our children. We have to be aware of where we have been to know where we are going.

No comments:

Post a Comment