Friday, February 10, 2012

Wk 2 Blogging Response #1

Week 2: The Art of Possibilities
Attribution Some rights reserved by cessable



“It’s all invented anyway, so we might as well invent a story of a framework of meaning that enhances our quality of life and the life of those around us “, Michael Gazzaniga, The Social Brain

As I began to engage myself in the first four chapters of the Art of Possibility, by Rosamund Stone Zander and Benjamin Zander, this particular quote struck my world view that quite frankly gave me a little pause. Being a Christian and reading this book I found myself having a hard time allowing my imagination to loosen the binds of what my faith tells me is real.

Eight years ago I began a great journey in believing in what Jesus, whom is called Messiah, said and did as it is written in the Book. Before that, I let the wilds of my own imagination run with every whim of the wind that would take it. I must say, at that time, life was not easy. Since coming to believe what the scriptures say as being true, my life has taken on a sort of peace that passes my understanding. Things just make sense now, simple and true.

That is not to say, that I don’t have trials and struggles in this life. because I do. But by the putting of my faith in what the Bible tells me is real, gives me hope, and a sense of security that can’t be shaken away. There are promises there that I have come to trust, and that have pretty much allowed love, joy, peace, and patience to become manifested in what has before been a very chaotic life.

When the authors pointed to the notion that it is an evolved structure of the brain that constructs our perceptions, and that our constructs have little to do with the world, I just flat out disagreed. We all share the same fate. We live, breath, feel, hope, and die. We all want to belong, and be loved. We all share some pretty strong realities. The cold hard fact of the matter is, death has a perfect track record, that we all share.

I used to think that putting my belief and pointing my worldview towards something more concrete than my imagination would have limited the experiences of life. However, just the opposite is true. Now, things make sense, and are born out in my reality, and I no longer have to make excuses for my shortcomings. Fear is gone.

There is part of Gazzanga’s quote,”It’s all invented anyway”, that I will agree with. However, I like to think of it being said in a different way.
“Let there be light”.
Posted by Greg Havens at 12:16 AM
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to TwitterShare to Facebook
2 comments:

1.
ChrisFeb 10, 2012 12:37 PM

I read your post several times. I thought that a few parts were worthy of discussion if you don’t mind sincere questions. I often get confronted with anger over sincere questions when I don’t share a belief in particular religion. So if you don’t want to answer I will understand.

First you mentioned, “Being a Christian and reading this book I found myself having a hard time allowing my imagination to loosen the binds of what my faith tells me is real.” I often see this and am curious. When a different hypothesis is put forward in science, the attitude is somewhat similar. Scientists have a knowledge base just as religion does, so new ideas can often be met with raised eyebrows. But this is where the similarity ends.

Science then lowers the eyebrow and says, “Can you prove this? Can we test it? Is it repeatable?” Once the evidence is verifiable, science says, “I was wrong.” When you approach religion with new information, one often finds that they will ignore every piece of evidence provided or fall back on sayings like, “we can’t know that…. science is always changing its mind…. god is mysterious…well I feel like it’s true.”

I’d ask why religious people have trouble saying, “I might have been wrong all along” but I can’t ask you to answer for everyone. So I will just ask you, is there any amount of evidence that would make you say, “I may have been wrong about these beliefs”? Again, I’m just curious about your thoughts.

You also mentioned, “When the authors pointed to the notion that it is an evolved structure of the brain that constructs our perceptions, and that our constructs have little to do with the world, I just flat out disagreed.” I was hoping you could expand on this so that I can understand your position a little better. I too agree that the perceptions we form in our mind have little to do with reality. I think fear and conditioning have everything to do with how people form opinions and that is specifically the reason I embrace logic and reason. The more I want something to be true, the more I realize that I will be willing to deceive myself; so I rely on empirical evidence.

Thoughts?

ReplyDelete
Replies
1.
Cricket JohnsonFeb 10, 2012 04:53 PM

Greg -
awesome blog, as I was reading these same chapters and statements I never thought about it that way, in that context. I took it very lightly and just as suggestion of attitude. But I can see how you can spin that this way too. It's nice to hear how your faith has given you a rock and a peace that transcends all understanding.
Chris - some great points - and I hate that your questions about religion have ended up with anger or resentment from people, that's a true shame. I love to discuss my faith and hear people's questions and to discuss their beliefs too. I've been asked science questions like what you stated above - I believe in Intelligent design/Creationism. Often I hear to where people say they will always side with science because it can be seen. The question that always pops up in my mind is this "Isn't the "big bang" technically an assumption? It has never been "tested" nor "re-created" - no one has created life and planets or anything else out of matter floating around. So essentially Can you prove this science is reliable? Is all science repeatable? Does that make science a type of faith? Do scientist just "feel like that was true?"
I guess what I am saying is that the questions we ask can't be answered soundly by science nor by religion. So it all comes down to what you want to put your faith in and Faith by definition is "belief not based on proof".

No comments:

Post a Comment